Friday 4 July 2008

Drei Liebestraume

Hohe Liebe (Liebestraume 1):

You lie inebriated in the arms of love,
Life's fruits call to you,
Only one glance has fallen upon me,
And yet I am richer than all of you.

Earthly fortune I gladly renounce,
And, like a martyr, look upwards,
Because above me, in the golden
distance,
Heaven has opened

- Ludwig Uhland, tr L. Howard


Seliger tod (Happy Death, Liebestraume 2):

Dead was I
From love's rapture,
Buried lay I
In her arms,
Awakened was I
By her kisses,
Heaven saw I
In her eyes.

-Ludwig Uhland, tr. L. Howard


O lieb, so lang du lieben kannst! (Liebestraume 3):

O love for as long as you can!
O love for as long as you may!
The hour is coming, the hour is coming
WHen you shall stand by gravesides and mourn.

And take care that your heart glows,
Nourish love and protect love,
So long as another heart beats
Warmly with love reciprocated

And should someone open his heart to
you,
O do whatever you can to love him!
And make his every hour happy,
And never make him sad.

And keep a watch upon your tongue!
Soon as an ill word spoken.
"O god, I meant no harm" -
But the other goes away in tears

Ferdinand Freilgrath, tr. L. Howard

No comments: